One of the many things on our “to do” list was to replace the lifeline covers we put on to protect our sunshades from rubbing against the wire lifelines. We had to do something immediately when we had the sunshades made several years ago and they were rubbing against the lifelines. The quickest, cheapest solution was to use swimming noodles. Not pretty, but they worked.
After having G G Sails and Canvas in Stuart make us a new dodger last summer, we went back to them with this small project. We gave them the measurements and they sewed navy sunbrella covers which wrap around the foam and connect with velcro. Mark found much smaller pieces of foam to use. He first covered the lifeline with strips of 1/2 inch PVC pipe. Then he put the new foam over them. Finally, he wrapped the foam with the sunbrella strips. They are no longer an eyesore and will protect our sunshades. We could have purchased pre-made lifeline foam covers but they were very expensive and wouldn’t have matched this well. I guess the only downside is that we should have a sewing machine on the boat. I could very easily have made these sunbrella covers.